Monday, June 10, 2013

Assigned Entry #2: Tech and Brain

Since I talked about psychology in my last post, I decided to talk about the brain this time.
Well, I'm not going to simply talk about the brain, but I'm also going to discuss how technology affects it.


I went on YouTube and looked at many videos about the brain.
They were all so interesting that I ended up watching videos for about an hour.
I felt like Cyanide and Happiness (the mini comic on the left)!
I just can't help it - I love learning about the mind!
I guess that makes me nerd.


Anyways, I found a cute cartoon that explained some of the damage that technology (the internet) can have on people.
It's called What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains.
Check it out! It's very interesting, and it portrays everyday life.

Personally, I liked how they go back to prehistoric times and explain why the brain enjoys receiving so much information, and thus the internet is perfect for our brains.
Then they talk about the down side to having so much information.
It turns out that we need to have focused, calm thinking in order to absorb information and retain it.
Thus, although we have the internet with all this information everywhere, it really doesn't help because we don't retain it, so we never build our knowledge.
That's actually depressing.
Instead of getting smarter with all of this available information, we seem to be getting dumber!
It all makes sense, though.  With so much information constantly thrown at us, it's impossible to store it all!
There's a lot more information in the video, so watch it; it's only 4 minutes long!

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! Here's another mini comic that made me giggle (too bad it has nothing to do with technology).

- Pillow

1 comment:

  1. Good job on this post, it was very interesting and it was pretty funny, especially the pictures. I liked the "doing to our brain" part that was interesting.

    ReplyDelete